Friday, March 16, 2007

Poor, poor pitiful me.

All those college students with brain diseases need our help!

The report by The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University...calls on educators to take bolder stands against students and alumni to combat (substance abuse on college campuses)...(says Roger Vaughan, a Columbia biostatistician involved in the report:) "People need to step up and realize this is not a rite of passage, this is not something we should tolerate. If it keeps going, we're going to destroy our best and brightest."

Who on earth is "we"? So, if my students go out on Saturday night and get sh*tfaced, I'm destroying 'em? Okay. I don't think anyone can deny there's a "culture of drunkeness" on college and university campuses across the country. But we're talking about people considered to be adults - people who've been raised by parents for 18+ years, can join the military and defend the country, and can vote for president. But it's somebody else's responsibility which liquids they ingest? Perhaps America's Finest News Source has something to say about this?

I Wish Someone Would Do Something About How Fat I Am: Let me level with you. I'm fat. Not heavyset, but F-A-T, fat. I'm not saying this because I'm proud. It takes a lot of courage to admit it, but I have a problem. Strangers gape in amazement. Children taunt me behind my back. People have trouble looking at me when I eat, and for good reason: I'm huge. But gosh, I don't like being this way. I hate it as much as you do—maybe more. What I want to know is, how come no one is doing anything about it?

No comments: