Monday, September 15, 2008

Finite Jest

David Foster Wallace killed himself last Friday. I'd been considering a post about this article, another on morality from one of my favorite working psychologists - Jon Haidt at UVA. But I've been immersed in Foster Wallace obits and following links here and there. I've decided that, for the day, a better way to think closely about morality is for me to re-read this. So that's what I'm going to do.
So then here is a question that’s all but unavoidable at the World’s Largest Lobster Cooker, and may arise in kitchens across the U.S.: Is it all right to boil a sentient creature alive just for our gustatory pleasure? A related set of concerns: Is the previous question irksomely PC or sentimental? What does “all right” even mean in this context? Is it all just a matter of individual choice?

No comments: